Thursday, January 27, 2011

Fuzzy Yellow

I have been trying to get this glaze to work for a couple of years and it has been an incredibly difficult one. I call it Fuzzy Yellow; there is also a Fuzzy Green, which is difficult too. This one came out yesterday and it is what I'm looking for. It's extremely matte and very smooth to the touch, really nice to hold in your hand.



I have another pot which will fire tomorrow night with the same glaze and the same firing cycle and hopefully will be as nice. These glazes are finicky and even though I do the same thing and fire the same way, I do not expect the results to be the same. But hopefully doing the same thing will make for a successful piece.



6 comments:

nick friedman said...

That's a beauty, John.

Unknown said...

I can see why you keep chasing it~ stunning!

Ceramics4Fun said...

This piece is beautiful..

John Tilton said...

Let's see if the next one is nice. I will glaze it this afternoon and it will be out tomorrow late. Zoom,zoom.

John Tilton said...

As I was glazing the top of the pot today, the glaze cracked off because the pot was a little wet so I scraped it off with a razor blade and the pot is drying another day. Hopefully tomorrow.

I did put a pot which is being fired the fourth time, the first three being sort of dull. I sprayed some more glaze on it and made up a totally whacky schedule -- long soaks and wild temperature swings -- and we will see what happens. Should be out tomorrow afternoon if all goes well.

Linda Fahey said...

absolutely gorgeous!