Here is what we decided to do. There are 8 elements in all in the kiln, three in each side section and two in the floor. We divided up the kiln into 4 sections of 2 elements each. This is quite different from how the kiln was originally wired, which was a 3, 3, 2 configuration.
Each of these pairs of elements will be wired in series within the pair, and all 4 pairs will be wired in parallel to each other. The elements will be 8 ohms each so each section will be have 16 ohms of resistance and 15 amps of current, and all 4 sections will generate 60 amps.
The wire is going to be 12 gauge Kanthal A1 wound around a 3/8 inch mandrel. This gives us a very good length to the element -- when it is stretched the pitch is just about perfect. And the watt loading figure is very low so these guys should last a long time.
Let me know if I need to be more specific about any of this -- how we did it, why we did particular things.......